Driveways, Footpaths & Roads

Work on Council Land

Any work that is required to be carried out on Council's land, or that impact on Council infrastructure requires approval before work can commence. The Engineering and Infrastructure Department manage all City Work approvals to ensure that work is carried out in a safe manner and that hazards are minimised.

Approval needs to be obtained for any work that is outside your property boundary which may include driveway construction, concrete/paved walkway, private Stormwater outlet, underground electrical services, landscaping on verge, temporary occupation of Council land, traffic management and other miscellaneous work.

A $20 fee applies to all works applications with the exception of driveway construction and landscaping applications.

Important information


Driveway Crossover & inverts

An invert is the section of kerbing which is flat to allow access into your property, while the driveway crossover is the section of driveway from the invert to your property boundary which crosses the footpath area. In accordance with the Local Government Act it is the responsibility of the property owner to construct and maintain their driveway crossover.

If you wish to construct or alter a crossover an approval is required via Council's Works Permit System. The minimum standard of a driveway crossover accepted by Council is concrete from kerb to boundary to a depth of at least 100mm, with a surface structure of good quality and free of any obstructions and tripping hazards. Driveway crossovers of asphalt or block pavers over a suitably constructed base are also acceptable.

In areas such as industrial, reinforcing mesh may be requested as a minimum in driveways at the discretion of the Group Manager Infrastructure.

Will Council construct my driveway crossover?

Council has a policy whereby we will not compete with contractors and as such will not construct new or alter existing residential, industrial or commercial driveway accesses. The exception to this is;


Where there is no invert to a property and the property does not have a roll over kerb (drivable layback kerb), Council will provide an invert subject to the property owner covering all addition cost to bring the driveway entrance up to the minimum standard.

Concrete footpath & driveway construction

Council's contractors are also instructed to construct all sub-standard driveways during footpath construction should any driveway not meet the standard. Costs associate with this construction are recharged.

Who can construct my driveway?

You may choose to undertake your own driveway construction or alternatively engage a contractor to do so. Please note that if you do decide to undertake the work yourself, you will be required to hold relevant Public Liability Insurance and Indemnify Insurance. The permit holder or contractor must have current insurance with a minimum of ten million dollars ($10,000,000) cover. This will protect against all actions such as; costs, claims, damages, charges and expenses whatsoever, which may be brought or made against the permit holder or contractor in relation to the activity for the undertaking of work.


Council has a rolling concrete footpath construction program which will continue into 2013/14.

The footpaths nominated for concrete construction will shortly be finalised based on several factors. Footpaths are prioritised in accordance with their condition rating, pedestrian user groups and user frequency.

If you have a complaint or query about the condition of your footpath please contact Council either by phone 8640 3444 or by email, or we might have the answer in the links below;

Traffic Management

Council maintains in excess of 280kms of sealed, formed and unformed road reserves and related road infrastructure.

Council's road infrastructure upgrade programs include road reconstruction, road surfacing, traffic calming strategies and road signage.

Road reconstruction and surfacing works are undertaken on a rolling contract basis with works continuing from the 2012/2013 following the finalisation of road priorities.

Any queries or concerns in relation to Council owned roads should be directed to Engineering and Infrastructure services by either phone on 8640 3444 or email.

State roads

The following arterial road surfaces are owned and maintained by the Department for Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI);

  • Playford Avenue
  • Lincoln Highway
  • Arthur Glennie Drive
  • McBryde Terrace (Norrie Avenue to Playford Avenue)
  • Whyalla Iron Knob Road

For any Road Hazards on these arterial roads, please contact DPTI on 1800 018 313.
General road maintenance issues can be advised by emailing

Heavy Vehicle Information

The Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure (DPTI) requires a Heavy Vehicle Permit for oversize and overmass vehicles to operate on roads throughout South Australia. The definition of oversize and overmass vehicles refers to vehicles exceeding the ‘General Access Heavy Vehicle’ category in accordance with the ‘Mass and Dimensions limits for General Access Heavy Vehicles Operating in South Australia’.

Council also requires ‘Clearance Certificate’ for oversize and overmass vehicle to operate on Council’s controlled roads. Both the Heavy Vehicle Permit and Clearance Certificate specifies approval for certain vehicles and routes if vehicles exceeded the General Access Heavy Vehicle category.

For vehicles that do not exceed the General Access Heavy Vehicle category, Heavy Vehicle Permit and Clearance Certificate will not be required. They are allowed to use any roads.

The South Australian Government published Road Classification Guidelines in 2008 which specified road hierarchy and functions. According to the Guidelines, most of the Council’s controlled roads are classified as Urban Local Roads which are required to facilitate A-Double and B-Double within the General Access Heavy Vehicle category with volumes in the order of less than 500 vehicles per day. Council underscores the significance of road safety, environment and local amenities in our community. It is everyone’s responsibility to safeguard the wellbeing of our city.

For instance, Broadbent and Darling Terraces in the Central Business District are Urban Local Roads which have multiple access points providing vehicle access to residential property as well as local businesses. Their primary function is for local traffic movement rather than through traffic movement. In the vicinity, Whyalla High School, Whyalla Town Primary and St Teresa’s Primary have direct frontal pedestrian access to Broadbent and Darling Terraces. It is Council’s responsibility to safeguard road safety to vulnerable road users especially school children by ensuring roads fit for their purpose and are used by appropriate vehicles. In addition, noise and air pollutions are likely to go hand-in-hand with the volume of heavy vehicles. Like other local authorities around the world, they have no choice but to limit heavy vehicle access to the Central Business District to minimise environmental impact and to protect local amenities. Should the volume of heavy vehicles exceed 500 vehicles a day, local amenity and safety will be at risk of deterioration.

Council highlights the fact that the local road system is significantly different from the State’s controlled road network (ie Lincoln Highway, etc). Their pavement is generally stronger with longer life span and designed for higher volume of heavy vehicles. The Council’s controlled roads are designed for local traffic movement with significantly lower volume for heavy vehicles. If oversized and overmass vehicles frequently use the local roads, it may not show immediate damage to the pavement, but they definitely accelerate wear and tear over time. This is a burden to the rate-payers for unnecessary repair and unscheduled resurfacing due to pavement fatigue.

Council is doing everything possible to support economic activity for local businesses. At the same time, Council has responsibility to safeguard road safety. Council will only exercise its power to regulate or limit load and size of vehicles to use Council’s controlled roads if local amenities and road safety are significantly at risk of deterioration. Therefore Council urges local businesses to consider Urban Arterial Roads such as Playford Avenue for through traffic movement and for delivery in the Central Business District area, Council recommends vehicles with a maximum of four axles and 14.5m long in length whenever possible (ie up to Class 5 in Austroads Vehicles Classification Systems).