In the early days of Whyalla, there was a small cemetery located in a section of what is now Whyalla's Ada Ryan Gardens. This cemetery was not used after 1918, and in 1946, the remains were reburied in the present cemetery. There is no longer any visible trace of this early cemetery.
The main entrance to the Whyalla Cemetery is on Broadbent Terrace with a small visitor's carpark on Goodman Street (see Whyalla Cemetery Layout Plan below).
The Main Office of the Cemetery is centrally located in the grounds with the Crematorium and public amenities.
The cemetery has 11 sections A through to H as well as the Niche Wall, Rose and Tree Memorials for ashes Interments.
- Section A: An older section of the Cemetery primarily a Protestant section, this section has no new burials only second burials. Council does not supply a plaque.
- Section B: Garden section with no religious denomination, this section only allows new burials for ashes interment and smaller (babies/children's) graves and second burials for all graves. Council supplies a Cast Bronze plaque (see this page for details).
- Section C: This is for the Church of England /general with new and second burials. Council does not supply a plaque.
- Section D: Vacant area.
- Section E: This section is for Catholic /General with new and second burials. Council does not supply a plaque.
- Section F: Catholic /General lawn section. Council supplies a Cast Bronze Plaque (see this page for details).
- Section G: Vacant area.
- Section H: Mainly Protestant & Islamic but this section is also general. Council allows both new and second burials.
- Niche Wall, Rose & Tree Memorials: No religious denomination, for cremation (ashes) interments only. Council supplies a Cast Bronze plaque (see this page for details).