Can I park on the grass verge outside my home?

No. It’s illegal to park on a path, dividing strip or nature strip.

If I’m in a Parking Zone with a time limit can I move the car to a nearby parking space when the time expires so I can stay longer?

Yes, but ONLY if the vehicle has first been removed completely from the parking area.

Can I park my semi-trailer in the street all day?

No. A long vehicle (including a car with a caravan or trailer attached) that exceeds 7.5 metres in overall length can be parked no longer than one hour, day or night, in unrestricted parking areas unless loading or unloading is taking place. Note: Long vehicles are bound by normal time restrictions in zoned areas.

Am I parallel parked legally as long as the wheels of my vehicle are inside the line markings on the road?

No. No part of the vehicle must overhang the line marking.

When can I park my car in a Bus Zone?

Never. Not even for the purpose of the immediate setting down or picking up of a passenger.

I was sitting in my car with the engine running in a Loading Zone waiting to pick up my wife and her shopping. I was furious to get a parking ticket. Surely the Parking Officer had no right to book me in these circumstances?

The Parking and Information Officer correctly reported your vehicle. Waiting is not permitted in a Loading Zone.

I parked in a Ticket Parking Zone. I had a valid ticket displayed on the driver’s side of the dashboard of my car. When I returned to the vehicle I saw a Parking and Information Officer issuing an Infringement Notice. I asked her why and she said she could not read the ticket from the passenger’s side of the vehicle. I accept it may have been difficult to read from the footpath but did she have the right to book me?

Yes. The ticket must be displayed on the passenger’s side or side nearest the kerb and in such a position that it is readable to anyone standing on the footpath alongside the vehicle.

I parked my motorcycle well within the road markings of a parking bay in a Parking Zone. There was plenty of room for my bike even though a small car was already parked in the bay. Is it alright to do this?

No. Only one vehicle is permitted to park in a parking bay, regardless of size. However, more than one motorcycle is permitted to park in a car parking bay providing there is no car already parked.

I had friends to stay at the weekend. As I have car space for one vehicle only on my property, I allowed my friends to park their car on the road across the entrance to my property. As I gave them permission to obstruct my entrance, could their vehicle still be booked?

Yes. The Australian Road Rules is Parliamentary legislation and only the Council has statutory power to waive them in appropriate circumstances.

I parked in a 15 minute Parking Zone to collect a prescription from my doctor. I was delayed and did not return for over 45 minutes. I was horrified to see I had been given 3 Infringement Notices. One for exceeding the time limit and 2 for further offences. Was the Parking & Information Officer right in booking me that way?

Yes. It is the driver’s responsibility to park in an appropriate place to allow sufficient time even if their business is delayed. Further offences occur when a vehicle remains parked for successive periods of time that equal the time limit for the zone in which the vehicle is parked.

I double parked for a few seconds in Patterson Street while I dropped off my wife. I saw a Parking and Information Officer and wondered if she could have booked me as I drove off before she could fasten an infringement notice on my car?

There is no requirement under the Australian Road Rules for an Officer to place an Infringement notice on a vehicle and the notice can be posted to the registered owner or driver.

I have received a “Reminder Notice” from the Council in respect of a parking infringement which tells me I can complete a statutory declaration if my car was being driven by someone else at the time of the offence. Several people drive my car and I can’t remember who was driving at the time. If I tell the Council I don’t know who was driving, can they still prosecute me?

Yes. The owner of the vehicle may be legally responsible for the Parking Infringements unless he or she provides the full name and address of the driver at the time.

I used to own a Datsun 120Y, but sold it over a year ago through an advertisement in the paper. I didn’t bother to retain the part of the vehicle transfer form headed “Disposal Notice” and realise now I broke the law by not doing so. In fact I signed the form and just handed the papers to the buyer. I figured it was his car now and he said he would see to the formalities of the transfer at the Motor Registration Division. Three months later I started getting a whole series of parking infringement notices. I rang the Council to find out what was going on and they said I was still the registered owner of the vehicle. What do I do now?

(1) Provide a statutory declaration to the Council immediately giving the full name and address of the buyer of the vehicle together with a copy of any sale notice to back up your claim. NOTE: If you do not provide a statutory declaration within 21 days of receiving the “Reminder Notice” from the Council or provide proof of sale, you may be held responsible for the parking infringements as “the owner” of the vehicle.

(2) You should also approach DTEI (Department of Transport, Energy and Infrastucture)  to resolve the situation concerning ownership of the vehicle.

I had a doctor’s appointment in town and I was late. I cruised around for ages looking for somewhere to park near the surgery but all spaces were full up. Eventually I spotted a place I thought I could just squeeze into although it did mean my car was across an entrance to a building. I knew I wouldn’t be long and the building didn’t look used. When I returned my car had gone and someone told me my car had been towed away. What do I do now?

Call the Police. They will advise you whether your car has been towed away by the Police or the Council and if so who to contact to arrange recovery.

My vehicle broke down and I had to leave it in a No Stopping Zone. What should I do to avoid getting infringement notices?

If your vehicle is disabled in a No Stopping Zone, immediate action must be taken to resolve the situation by seeking assistance or arranging for the vehicle to be towed away. You should always leave a note in a prominent position on the passenger side of the vehicle (i.e. side nearest the kerb) and ring the Council. If you do receive an infringement notice you will be required to produce documentary evidence (e.g. a letter from the RAA or similar service provider confirming that the vehicle was in fact broken down).

My child had a seizure and I had to rush her to the Hospital. There was nowhere to park and I had to leave the vehicle partially in a No Stopping Zone. When I came out I had received an infringement notice. What should I do?

Obtain a statement from the Hospital’s Freedom of Information Officer in support of your claim that it was an emergency situation and send it immediately to Whyall Council, PO Box 126, Whyalla SA 5600 quoting the reference number of the infringement notice and/or your vehicle registration details.

Do parking restrictions apply on public holidays and am I still required to make payment for ticket parking?

Time limits in on-street permissive parking areas do not apply on public holidays and payment is not required for ticket parking areas. This does not include off street ticket machine car parks which operate normally on public holidays. However, any area covered by prohibited distances or indicated by a continuous yellow edge line is applicable at all times, as are the requirements regarding angle parking and parallel parking.

Restricted areas such as No Stopping Zones, No Parking Zones, Loading Zones, Bus Zones, Taxi Zones and Permit Zones are applicable if the signs indicate that the restriction is:

  • At All Times
  • Any Day
  • At Other Times
  • Including Public Holidays
Can I park in my driveway, even though it blocks the footpath?

No. That part of the driveway must be clear at all times for the safety of pedestrians.


If you have any other queries that haven't been answered here or on another part of this website please don't hesitate to contact the Whyalla City Council on 8640 3444.

Related Links

Quick Links

Unearth WhyallaUnearth more