The Whyalla Logo has been developed by the Whyalla City Council to give the city a single, recognisable image along the lines of a corporate logo which, over the years, will become synonymous with the name "Whyalla". Designed by Whyalla's own Stephen Stanley - renowned cartoonist and author of children's books "Puzzle Planets" and "Puzzle Body" - the basic shape is a circle within a square. The top represents the city's beautiful sunshine, sunrises and sunsets; the bottom, its unsurpassed seas; and in the middle, Hummock Hill, the very foundation of today's city with its visitor shelters atop the hill.
The logo appears on City Council publications and stationery, and is available to local organisations and groups wishing to incorporate it within their own programs and promotions. The Tourist Centre has developed a range of souvenirs featuring the logo. These include T-shirts, polo shirts, stickers, cloth badges, stubby holders, caps, teaspoons, badges, glassware, pennants, etc.
To download these graphics, click on the icons below. If your browser displays the graphic rather than offering to download it, you may have to right click on the thumbnail and select 'Save As'.
Encapsulated Postscript (EPS)
(Adopted by Council 19/9/94)
In this document the logo comprises the wording "WHYALLA South Australia" within a design, the basic shape of which is a circle within a square. The top represents the city's beautiful sunrises, sunsets, and sunshine; the bottom its unsurpassed sea; and in the middle, Hummock Hill, the very foundation of today's city.
Standards - General Use
1. The logo may be used by any organisation - eg. community or business group, service or social club, educational institution, sporting club or association, etc. - wishing to incorporate the promotion of Whyalla within any of their printed matter.
2. Such applications could include:
3. The logo must always appear in the configuration specified in this document.
4. Authorisation for the use of the Whyalla City logo may be granted or refused at the sole discretion of the Whyalla City Council. Reproduction of the logo will be permitted only after written authorisation has been granted by the Whyalla City Council.
5. The logo shall be produced only from the masters provided.
6. The logo must never be altered in any way, or vary from the form depicted in the master design.
7. No text or other visual material may be printed over or superimposed on the logo.
8. The logo must never be enclosed or surrounded by a border.
9. The Whyalla City Council may exercise its right to withdraw any authorisation at any time if the user is deemed to be not complying with the Conditions and Regulations.
10. The three-colour version of the Whyalla City logo must always appear on a white background.
11. The colours must match colour specifications:
Computer generisation of colours shall only be permitted if accurate colour matching, in accordance with the specifications, can be achieved. Samples of such reproduction may be required before final authorisation is given.
12. The one-colour version of the Whyalla City logo can appear on a white background or as an overprint on a solid colour background. This version of the logo may be used as a reversal out of a solid one-colour background.
13. No fee applies for the use of the Whyalla City logo as per the above Conditions and Regulations.
Standards - Commercial Use
In addition to the Conditions and Regulations of Usage, Standards - General Use, the following applies:
1. The Whyalla City Council retains all commercial rights to the use of the Whyalla City logo.
2. No business, organisation, or individual shall use the Whyalla City logo in any commercial manner for profit or fund-raising whatsoever without the prior written consent of the Whyalla City Council. A royalty, to be determined at the time of authorisation, will payable to Whyalla City Council for each commercial item produced.
Authorisation for use of the logo can be obtained from:
Tourism Marketing & Public Relations